The Edo State government has announced the disbandment of the media crew attached to the Deputy Governor of the state, Philip Shaibu.
Recall that Shaibu staged a walk-out at an event in Edo state after his aides, including security operatives, were denied entry on Monday.
Shaibu was permitted to enter the venue of the 60th anniversary of the Midwest referendum organised by the state government but his entourage was prevented from gaining access to the event.
Commissioner of Information, Chris Nehikhare, in a statement, said the state government has directed that Shaibu should henceforth make a request to the ministry of information for media coverage of activities of his office.
Nehikhare said the directive was due to the “ugly and unfortunate” incident during the colloquium organised to celebrate the Midwest referendum.
The commissioner added that the “orchestrated and stage-managed walkout” of Shaibu and his aides at the event was “highly regrettable”.
He alleged that the journalists who claimed to be part of Shaibu’s media crew “attempted to force their way into the hall” of the event.
“This act was contrary to the accreditation protocol that had been established for media coverage of the event,” he said.
This comes on the heels of an alleged misunderstanding between Governor Godwin Obaseki and Shaibu over issues relating to the alleged impeachment plot against the deputy governor.
Recall that Shaibu had in July approached a federal high court in Abuja with a suit to prevent the plot.
But Obaseki and speaker of the Edo house of assembly, Blessing Agbebaku, debunked the impeachment plot. Shaibu on Saturday described Obaseki as hi “elder brother”, while pledging his loyalty to the governor.
- Naira Depreciates To 980/Dollar, FX Shortage Deepens - September 21, 2023
- Nigerians Have No Justification To Be Poor – Tinubu - September 21, 2023
- Zinoleesky Removes Marlian Music From His Instagram Bio - September 20, 2023