Frederick Nwajagu, the Nze Ndigbo of Ajao Estate in Lagos State, has been arraigned by the Lagos State Government for alleged terrorism.
Nwajagu was arraigned on nine counts charge before the state high court sitting at Tafawa Balewa Square. He was accused of “attempt to do acts of terrorism, participation in terrorism, meeting to support a proscribed entity, attempt to finance an act of terrorism and preparation to commit an act of terrorism, preferred against him by the state government.”
Recall that the accused was arrested on April 1 following a video that trended which pictured him threatening to invite members of the Indigenous People of Biafra to Lagos to secure the assets of Igbos living in the state.
The 49-second video showed Nwajago saying, “IPOB, we will invite them. They have no job. All of the IPOB will protect all of our shops. And we have to pay them. We have to mobilise for that. We have to do that. We must have our security so that they will stop attacking us at midnight, in the morning, and in the afternoon.
“When they discover that we have our security before they will come, they will know that we have our men there. I am not saying a single word to be hidden. I am not hiding my words, let my words go viral. Igbo must get their right and get a stand in Lagos State.”
Reacting to his statement, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, the Lagos Police Public Relations Officer, said the command would resist IPOB presence in the state.
Following his arrest, the 67-year-old had earlier been taken before the Lagos State Magistrates’ Court in Yaba, which made an order that he should be remanded in prison custody.
He was on Tuesday taken before Justice Yetunde Adesanya, where he was arraigned by the Lagos State Ministry of Justice.
A Deputy Director in the Ministry of Justice, Jonathan Ogunsanya, who represented the Attorney General of Lagos State, Mr Moyosore Onigbanjo, told the court that the Eze Ndigbo of Ajao Estate violated the provision of sections 403(2) and 12(c), 18, 21, 29 & 12(a) of the Terrorism (Prevention & Prohibition) Act, 2022.
He pleaded not guilty when the charges were read to him.
The judge adjourned till July 4 for the commencement of trial.
- Gov Alex Otti Reacts To Tribunal Judgment - October 7, 2023
- Fake Credentials: Soyinka Dares Accusers To Prove Allegations - October 7, 2023
- Ukraine Vow To Shun UEFA Competitions Featuring Russian Teams - September 27, 2023