The federal government has directed the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria to rename some federal airports after some prominent Nigerians.
This was disclosed in a memo addressed to all Head of Operations of FAAN signed by the Director of Airport Operations, Mrs Joke Olatunji and titled “Naming of Federal Airports in favour of some prominent Nigerians,” by the Federal Ministry of Aviation dated June 1, 2023.
The memo read, “I am directed to refer a memo with reference number, FMA/T4464/7090/T7B/647 from FAAN on the naming of some federal airports after notable Nigerians.”
Recall that immediate past President, Muhammadu Buhari, had toward the end of his tenue ratified the renaming of 15 airports.
It was disclosed in a statement by the Head of Press and Public Affairs of the Ministry of Aviation, Odutayo Oluseyi on May 29, 2023.
According to the statement, the Port Harcourt Airport was renamed after late sage, Obafemi Jeremiah Awolowo and the Maiduguri Airport was renamed after Buhari.
Nasarawa Airport immortalised Sheikh Usman Danfodio and Ilorin Airport was named after General Tunde Idiagbon.
Also, the Ebonyi Airport was renamed after the late Senate President, Chuba Okadigbo, Benin Airport was renamed after the late Oba of Benin, Oba Akenzua II, and the Ibadan Airport after the late Premier of the old Western Region, Ladoke Akintola.
See the full list below:
1. Akure Airport – Olumuyiwa Bernard Aliu
2. Benin Airport – Oba Akenzua II
3. Dutse Airport – Muhammad Nuhu Sanusi
4. Ebonyi Airport – Chuba Wilberforce Okadigbo
5. Gombe Airport – Brigadier Zakari Maimalari
6. Ibadan Airport – Samuel Ladoke Akintola
7. Ilorin Airport – Gen. Tunde Idiagbon
8. Kaduna Airport – Hassan Usman Katsina
9. Maiduguri Airport – Gen. Mumammadu Buhari
10. Makurdi Airport – Joseph Sarwuan Tarka
11. Minna Airpor – Mallam Abubakar Imam
12. Nassarawa Airport – Sheikh Usman Dan Fodio
13. Osubi Airport – Alfred Diete Spiff
14. Port Harcourt Airport – Obafemi Jeremiah Awolowo
15. Yola Airport – Lamido Aliyu Mustapha
- Gov Alex Otti Reacts To Tribunal Judgment - October 7, 2023
- Fake Credentials: Soyinka Dares Accusers To Prove Allegations - October 7, 2023
- Ukraine Vow To Shun UEFA Competitions Featuring Russian Teams - September 27, 2023